Thursday, June 4, 2009

Insomnia sucks

I feel like this might start off like an AA meeting.

Hi, I'm Mollie, I have insomnia.

But it's true and it's lousy! You would think that sleeping should be "easy". That it's natural, just let it happen. But the drag of having insomnia, especially when it lasts long, is that when you lie down, you get nervous about not being able to sleep or stay asleep. And because you're nervous about sleeping, you don't do it. It's a vicious cycle, well documented in medical literature.

Another documented fact about insomnia, is that when you're sleep deprived, there's a chemical phenomenon in the brain that generally helps you stay awake and overcome the fatigue. However, it's like an on switch, and over time, it's tough to switch off!

I haven't blogged in forever, mostly because I haven't wanted to write about insomnia and give it any more "control" over my life than it already has robbed me of. But here it is. Not that anyone reads it anyway.

*sigh. In life there are definitely much (MUCH) worse problems to have, and for that I am grateful. I have a great husband, terrific kids, health, a job! I have an entire stash of yarn. (Why, I might add, is it SO much fun to buy yarn and that I don't have enough time to knit!!!)

Proverbs somewhere says "when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet". Here's hoping!

No comments: